Tuesday, February 3, 2009

拜天宫

The 9th day of Chinese New Year, as usual, is the day that all the Hokkienists are looking forward to. Well, let’s talk about the origin of this day, which also known as 拜天宫 in Chinese (praying to God). I just know a little about the origin. Sorry first if any mistakes are made. Sugarcanes are the necessity for the pray, as they were the savior of many lives during Japanese occupation. Majority of the Hokkienists were hiding themselves in the sugarcanes estates to avoid discovered by Japanese. So, Hokkienists decide to pray to God as well as sugarcanes to express their gratitude and appreciation for protecting them from Japanese cruelty.

Usually my family does not pray at our own house. So we will go to either my grandmother’s house or my aunt’s house for the religion practice as Hokkienists. Well, having a great time in my aunt’s house. Playing fireworks while waiting for 12am (that is, the 9th day of CNY). But sad to say that, I just could play for a few fireworks as my leg was injured. I couldn’t run fast after burning the fireworks. Anyway, I quite enjoyed the ambience there. Since the neighbours are also Hokkienists, it was quite merry along the street. They were also busying themselves with lots of activities. We left after burning all the praying papers and the leaves of the sugarcanes. Well, it was a very tiring day. I slept at 4am in the morning.

1 comment:

  1. wah, super pai seh. even as a pure hokkien i don't even know what sugarcanes are for when we pai tian gong. enlightening post dude, keep it up

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.