Sunday, December 6, 2009

Foods for thought

At last, I am in my home now.

Lots and lots of food are waiting for me, and a nice, comfort bed for me to sleep for days and nights.^.^

No worries for now. I am totally in a relaxing mood.

Going out with family, plus hanging out with friends…that’s what I wish to do during this one-month vacation.

Recalling my three months in NUS…

It actually quite nice if you have abundance of friends. And I start to enjoy life there.

No matter how good it is, Malaysia is still the best.

But sad when reading Malaysia newspaper, with lots of debacles in politics and the rising criminal cases.

Today an article caught my attention.

It is all about the compass for the young towards creating a brighter future.

At this stage, most of us are looking forward to having a decent job, and the only thing to achieve this, we must possess good paper qualifications. This is what we usually would think of.

Catchy advertisements for educational system that sound like, “working a degree that really works”; “expect a seamless transition upon your graduation”; “world class education ensures greater prospects in your chosen career.”

However, reality does not as rosy as the pictures that we have envisioned. Consider those graduated into the present harsh economic climate, where output has plummeted and business is shrinking. And I feel that degrees are no longer the passports to job that they were once, let alone long and rewarding careers. This is the hard reality that we have to face.

What are vital for us to be competitive in this era? This article says that it is the skills, values and knowledge that one possesses, which I totally agree with it.

So how do you think you will fare? Do you think you will be able to compete on the global stage and fulfill the high expectations of world-class employers? Are you able to think critically, creatively and independently? Are you a product of a university that faculty members can be proud of? These are a few questions that we youths have to answer boldly and truthfully. ( There are a total of 80 questions for youngsters like me before entering university, which I may post them if I have free time since they are all in Mandarin.=.=)

Be constructive but not destructive. It is very easy to be cynical, but it is always very difficult to go down to the field, practice and get involved in the game. “You can stand outside a room and curse the darkness within, or you can light a candle and start brightening up the room”, as quoted from the article.

To all my fellow Malaysian friends, be tough and self-confident. We all are now pursuing our tertiary educations in different institutions, be it local university or overseas university, I guess we all will learn something new during this 4 years which will prepare and lead us to face this challenging working society after our graduation.

I am here wishing you all, and of course myself, the very best in our future undertakings. Gambateh, everyone!^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.